The PS/IS 78Q Parent Teachers Association, founded in June of 2008, is a registered 501(c)3 not for profit organization established to help support the PS/IS 78 Robert F. Wagner Jr. public school located in Long Island City, Queens. Every parent or primary caregiver of a child who attends PS/IS 78Q is a member of the PTA.
We remain committed to enriching the learning experiences of our children. This year, not only do we want to continue funding the efforts we have supported in the past, our goal is to also seek out and provide new opportunities for our children.
Mission Statement: The PS/IS 78Q PTA is committed to academic excellence, creativity, and wellness. We aim to create an environment that sparks intellectual curiosity by fostering the social, moral, physical, and emotional development of each child. We strive to build a strong and engaged parent community to support the efforts and vision of our school.
Currently Funded Programs:
- Studio in a School (grades 1-5)
- SEM (6 weeks of artistic, sports and scientific enrichment electives)
- South Street Seaport Program - Marine Science and Sailing (grades 6-8)
- Musical Instruments
- Basketball Hoops
- Gym Equipment
- Red Ribbon Campaign
- Student Council
- Student of the Month
- Student Planners
- Teacher Appreciation
- Prom/8th Grade Graduation
- Talent Show
- Gardening Supplies
- Family/Game Night Supplies
More about Programs at PS/IS 78Q
To learn more about the programs being offered at our school, visit the PS/IS 78Q school website.
- Streamline communication between school and parents
- Additional Teaching Assistants
- Daily recess
- Health and Wellness programs
- Additional Enrichment programs
PS78 PTA Membership
What is the PTA? The main purpose of the Parent Teacher Association is to support the school and, therefore, benefit your child. As a parent, guardian or person in parental relation to a child in the school, you are a member of the PTA.
But there are many more PTA advantages:
- Get Connected. There’s no better way to know what’s happening in your school.
- Discover Great Resources. The PTA offers a variety of programs designed for parents as well as students.
- Tap into a Network. The PTA functions and events are opportunities to meet other parents and teachers, build rapport and discuss issues that are on your mind. You can share ideas, concerns, and experiences.
- Watch Yourself Grow. By volunteering with your PTA, you put your skills and hobbies to use for a noble cause—your child and all children in the community.
- Speak Up. The PTA can be a way for you to more effectively suggest change at your child’s school.
- Witness Improvement. By getting involved at your child’s school you’ll be part of the solution, helping make positive changes. Local PTAs play an important role in fundraising to provide building improvements, curriculum-based programs, and social events.
- Be a Role Model. By becoming involved with the PTA, you’ll be demonstrating to your child the importance you place on education.